Feminist comp-zine Pandora Press is looking for submissions for its third issue! The theme is TIME.
Here are some prompts/ideas for where you could go with this theme, though this list is far from exhaustive:
– Waves of feminism: do you identify with a wave in particular? What do you think the 4th wave will look like? Do you think that the notion of “waves of feminism” is a useful notion, or is it problematic? Do you agree with the direction of modern feminism, and its fights/causes?
– A woman’s age/passage of life: What pressures are women under in particular with regards to age – what they should look like, what they should be doing (e.g. childbearing before the age of 35), what direction their life is supposed to take? Are these realistic, or too constricting?
– The history of women/feminism: Are there any historical women or female activists that inspire you? Any groundbreaking pre-feminist texts? What was the world like for women before our era?
– The future for women/feminism: what would a feminist society look like? How far do we have left before equality is reached? Is it on the horizon? Is it possible?
– Beauty standards: are women under pressure to avoid “looking their age”? What qualities are associated with each decade of a woman’s life? Are these fair? What pressures are women under as each decade passes by?
– Young vs old feminists/women: are we being pitted against each other? Or is the generational divide too wide to relate to each other? Can we learn from each other? Are there experiences that exclusively lie with one group, or are we not that different from each other?
– Issues that affect young people: sex education, virginity/chastity/purity myths, employment, higher education, etc.
– Issues that affect older people: how is one’s age construed in our society? Are there prejudices against older people? Are old people ever favoured over young people (e.g. older men = authoritative figures), or are young people overwhelmingly favoured in society?
– Our current “time”/culture: What sucks about society’s treatment of women? What will our future look like – utopia? Dystopia? Will humanity be better off, or worse off, once our generation has passed away? What will be our legacy?
The deadline for the winter issue is 20 FEBRUARY 2012.
Contributors must be from Wales! Just email your ideas, questions, or submissions email@example.com. More info can be found athttp://swanseafeministnetwork.wordpress.com/pandorapress.