Call for Submissions:
Penpal Adventures! A Curated Zine on the Experiences of Girls as Penpals
Were you a pre-teen or teen girl in the late 80s and early 90s? Do you remember penpal ads and slambooks? Did you collect stationery, address labels and have a special pen? Did you spend hours writing pages and pages to people you had never met and would probably never meet?
We want to hear about it!
We are looking for personal essays, nonfiction prose, comics, letters/excerpts, photos and ephemera from your days of pre-internet correspondence.
Possible topics include:
- Collecting penpals
- School penpals
- Writing to strangers vs. writing to people you had met
- Stationery and presentation
- Your letter writing persona
- The transition from letter writing to email, websites and social media
- The privacy of pre-internet communication
- Classified ads
- How letter writing informed real life friendships and perceptions of how relationships should work
The zine will be half size and double page spreads are encouraged for visual work.
Deadline: February 1st 2012
Please send submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pass it on.